Saturday, December 2, 2017

Gwahatike Survey Trip (The Story in Pictures)--By Matt


In October I got to do something different from my normal job. I went with a survey team to evaluate the use of the Gwahatike language Bible. The New Testament was finished about 17 years ago.  Jon Jagt currently manages this language group and several new translation projects in the surrounding languages. He asked me to go and evaluate the current translation office and its building needs. As a bonus, I got to spend the rest of the week doing personal interviews for the survey team.

In each village we discussed barriers that keep the Gwahatike speakers from reading their Bibles and strategies to overcome these barriers. Literacy levels and other factors can be real problems.  Sometimes surveys themselves can be a real catalyst for change.

"I can read it.  I understand it and I follow it." An encouraging statement from one young man.  He told me that he reads his Gwahakite New Testament twice a day!

I really enjoyed this break from building.  Pray for the Gwahatike people. Enjoy the pictures!



Personal interviews and lots of selfies because we were working alone sometimes.

Found some friends at the local market. Played soccer with these guys after work the previous day. The guy in red wants to be a doctor!






Joined by a local pastor.

God's blue ocean!

Some people make me feel tall. No, I haven't grown.
Add caption
I gave out balloons in one village.  After many kids tried to blow them up themselves they gave up and brought them back to me for help #whyaretheseballoonsallwet?

Rachel leads a discussion on Bible usage!





1 comment:

  1. Oh how I love this! So glad you got to have this opportunity! And I love seeing the people and their homes. I saw a lot of those same style woven walls in Burmese villages in the fall! - Amy

    ReplyDelete